Monday 2 February 2015

I hate the positive aphorisms that pepper Facebook. The photo lifted from google images of a sunset or smiling child or sunset/ smiling child and wrinkly but twinkly wise older person or a girl skipping through beautifully lit puddles etc. etc. etc... then a quote about being kind, or not letting the bastards grind you down. Anyway I am going to adapt one such tired motto for my blog writing - so I shall 'write like no one is reading' (which will probably be true actually), not 'dancing like no one is watching'. Now I am 40 I really do not worry so much about people watching - getting middle aged starts to make you invisible - which really should be treated like a super power not a tragedy.

Thinking about my musical roots while on the bus today. My parents were of course the earliest influence - they were both Folk music fans and Dad liked to listen to Leonard Cohen while he drank whisky and got morose. Apparently I used to dance around in my nappy to 'Morris On' a seventies album with a sort of supergroup of folk musicians/ singers, including John Thompson and Shirley Collins,
getting together add some rock sensibilities to a few traditional English folk songs - as used by Morris dancers.  My favourite track is Cuckoo's Nest

No comments:

Post a Comment